David Valks Podcast
Applying for a new role can be a daunting process. Our podcasts are here to make the process as seamless as possible, by providing you with the information and tools you need to land your next dream role. Hosted by our experienced Australia, Hong Kong and UK teams, we aim to help you stand out and showcase your ability and experience.
Listen to our latest Podcast - cv tips - what to include and avoid
This podcast is hosted by David Valks and Sasha Thariani from the become Sydney Office, Australia.
- Keep it clean – think about the overall layout of your CV, keep it clear and concise
- Put experience in chronological order starting with your current or most recent job (include dates, company names and job titles)
- Less is more – avoid over-designing your CV by keeping flourishes to a minimum (include a separate portfolio if you wish to showcase design capabilities)
- Use bullet points rather than paragraphs where appropriate
- Make it snappy – any more than 3 pages is far too much, 1 or 2 is ideal but only write about what is relevant and appropriate for the role
- Try to write about your achievements as well as responsibilities and where possible include stats and figures to illustrate your experience
- Avoid clichés – commonly used words and phrases such as “enthusiastic” and “hard-working” become a pet-peeve to recruiters
- Do not lie – you will get found out
- Do not add to an old CV – starting fresh means you can cut the irrelevant or old information
- Make it personal – we do not advise including a photo of yourself, but if you wish to, please make sure it is a professional photo. Instead we suggest that you include a short summary or personal statement that is specific to the role you are applying for
- Always proof your CV before sending – ask your friends or family to read through your CV carefully checking for spelling mistakes or jargon, you can also ask recruiters for feedback, we’re always happy to help
Check back to www.becomerecruitment.com/podcast to keep up to date with all the latest news and podcasts.